Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Idea.

Hi all,

I'm excited. I figured out how to connect Street Chic Wannabe to Bloglovin'!! I became a bit irrittated, but I figured it out. Maybe someone will take a look at my blog soon! I don't have a lot going on thus far, but I will take responsibility for getting completely distracted. My passion truly is for street fashion.... I have like an obsession for it.

Recently I started to come up with this project idea for the summer. As you know I live on Martha's Vineyard. The difference between the Summer folk and the Year-Round people is HUGE. The style of this island changes for a few months. You have some summer people who come from all over the world who dress like "The Vineyard" and you have the year-rounders that dress however the hell they want to dress... This post will discuss my fellow female gal-pals.

Year-Rounders aka Islander's aka Wash-A-Shores:
In the cold months there are lots of layers and not just layers because it's cold, I mean obviously it's cold, but TONS of layers with different patterns and fabrics- hair in a messy top knot, with chesnut colored bulky, semi-runined/ weathered boots, and things simply don't match, but look cool.... There are a lot of over-sized sweaters and big, fluffy infinity scarves. This style can be seen on women all ages- 5 years old to 80 year old. Girls do seem to keep there nails painted in dark colors and wear just a little makeup. The feel is very bohemian. Summer time calls for sundresses, over-sized sunglasses, flats, gaudy jewlery, cut-off denim shorts, crop tops, and beach hair. Being that there are people who visit the Island from all over the world- fashion and style is not specific to the location on the map- it vere's in different directions and the fashion world is our oyster! Pretty cool when I think about it....

Dressing like "The Vineyard":
 Mom's will literally match there outfit to there children's. I am not kidding. I worked in Edgartown at a retail shop last summer and I witnessed a mom with her daughter. The woman was wearing a white polo with a navy sweater that had sailboats on it, wrapped around her neck and white ankle skinny's. Her (maybe) 4 year old daughter had the exact same outfit on. Don't get me wrong- they look VERY cute, but it was sooooo stereotypically "The Vineyard." I didn't see this just once, I saw this look multiple times. The Vineyard is very nautical... which is cool. I will admit- I purchased an orange iPhone cover that had an anchor on the back of it. I did it because it totally worked with living on Martha's Vineyard. My caption on Instagram was even "I SO live on the Vineyard."

Here is a picture of it.



 I do believe people who visit here know how to dress extremely well... is it my taste? Nah... but that's ok. To each there own- ALWAYS. I personally like the feel you get from people who dress however they want, with out being matchy matchy. I enjoy seeing a million colors come together with different patterns, etc. I also like wearing all black. If I went to an upscale party in Martha's Vineyard and I knew every one was dressed very strategically, I would have fun getting an outfit together to play the part... it's like playing dress up... who doesn't like to play dress up?!


All I am saying is that the people around here- the people that visit, the people that live here, the people that work here... everyone is so different, but in a way because everyone dresses however they want- in the end we are all kind of similar... Now I might be mind-efing you all, but I am writing down my thoughts, so try and bare with me.

Getting back to my idea on this whole Summer Projectoooo.....

The other day I was at the post office and I started taking pictures of people (without them knowing...I know, I know... ugh). I was taking photos secretly with my iPhone of peoples shoe wear. All being mostly boots- I saw a lot of similar boots, but paired with TOTALLY different outfits. It got me thinking....

I want to put together some sort of street-fashion project based on.... go ahead take a guess- THE VINEYARD. I will take photos and do interviews of where people are from and what they like to do for fun.... blah blah blah... and it will come together and be really interesting and artsy and super cool.

So yeah- that's my idea. What do you think? Tips?

xo,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment